Liverpool’s Alexis Mac Allister red card suspension rescinded by FA

Noah Strang
By:
Noah Strang
24/08/2023
EPL Tips, Predictions & News
EPL News
Liverpool’s Alexis Mac Allister red card suspension rescinded by FA

Alexis Mac Allister’s red card against Bournemouth has been rescinded by the FA following an appeal filed by Liverpool.

News Insights

  • The call was immediately judged as harsh on broadcasts around the world.
  • Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher said of the decision “It's not a red card for me”
  • Liverpool filed an appeal with the FA on Monday to get Alexis Mac Allister’s red card revoked.
  • Mac Allister is able to play in Liverpool’s upcoming match against Newcastle.

Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister has had his three-match red card suspension rescinded by the English Football Association. The Scottish-looking Argentine was shown a straight red card in the 58th minute of Liverpool’s 3-1 victory over Bournemouth for a high kick offence. 

The FA has decided, following an appeal by Liverpool, that this punishment was too harsh and have rescinded the suspension. Mac Allister will be available for Liverpool’s next game against Newcastle on Monday night. 

Red card controversial from the onset

Alexis Mac Allister’s red card versus Bournemouth was seemingly one of the rare examples when a straight red card was given and confirmed unjustifiably. The 24-year-old was given a straight red card by referee Thomas Bramall for a high kick despite barely raising his foot and only making slight contact with Bournemouth’s Ryan Christie’s ankle. 

The call was immediately judged as harsh on broadcasts around the world. Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher said of the decision “It's not a red card for me” because “They've both got their feet off the ground

Stephen Warnock, working for Sky Sports, said emphatically “That's not a red card. It has to be overturned."

Speaking to the media after the match, Jurgen Klopp said “"I understand 100% how it looks for a ref in that moment but when you see it back, it is the inside of the foot and no power behind it.” Klopp also added that "We saw harsher challenges which were not a red card and this shouldn't have been one.”

Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola agreed with Klopp saying that the play "did not look like a red card."

Liverpool appeal successful

Liverpool filed an appeal with the FA on Monday to get Alexis Mac Allister’s red card revoked. We now know that this appeal was successful. 

Per an FA Spokesperson statement,  “An independent Regulatory Commission has removed Alexis Mac Allister's three-match suspension following a claim of wrongful dismissal. The Liverpool midfielder was sent off for serious foul play during their Premier League game against Bournemouth on Saturday, 19 August."

Premier League referees have been instructed to issue more cards for time wasting. The knock on effect of this has been more red cards for second yellows. 

Mac Allister’s red card was a straight red, but it was also astonishingly just one of the five red cards issued during the last matchweek. It is so far the only one to be rescinded. 

Mac Allister available for Newcastle match

Mac Allister’s red card being suspended means he is able to play in Liverpool’s upcoming match against Newcastle in EPL matchweek three. The Argentinian international and World Cup winner was purchased from Brighton this summer on a deal worth an initial £35m ($68.7m AUD) that could potentially rise to £55m ($108m AUD). He will play a big part in any Liverpool team this season, but especially now. 

Liverpool lost out to Chelsea on both Moises Caicedo and Roméo Lavia. The Reds did sign Stuttgart’s Wataru Endo for £16m ($31.4m AUD), but they will need more. Most sports betting sites seem to agree with this sentiment. Liverpool are actually underdogs against Newcastle at the majority of Australian betting sites

At PlayUp, Liverpool have 2.90 odds to beat Newcastle. Meanwhile, the Magpies are favourites with 2.15 odds from PlayUp.

Alexis Mac Allister’s red card against Bournemouth in last weekend’s game has been completely rescinded by the FA. The Liverpool midfielder is no longer required to serve his three-match suspension. He will now be able to play in the Reds’ upcoming game against Newcastle.