Sandro Tonali eligible for Newcastle amid Italy FA investigation

Julian Miller
By:
Julian Miller
19/10/2023
EPL Tips, Predictions & News
EPL News
Sandro Tonali could play for Newcastle against Crystal Palace despite pending investigation.

Sandro Tonali could play this weekend for Newcastle, despite the ongoing Italian FA investigation into his illegal bets.  

News Insights

  • Sandro Tonali is available for Newcastle, claims English and Italian press and his agent.
  • Newcastle plays Crystal Palace at St. James' Park on Saturday.
  • The Italian Football Federation is investigating Tonali for illegal betting.
  • If found guilty, Tonali could be suspended for up to four years.

According to recent reports from multiple sources in Italy and England, and his own agent, Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali is available for selection against Crystal Palace this weekend. Tonali is currently under investigation by the Italian Football Federation for illegal betting.  
 
Tonali is a very talented midfielder and it’s a big boost for Newcastle to have him on the field. 
 
Tonali’s agent has confirmed that the Newcastle player has indeed placed several illegal bets. The 23-year-old is one of at least three Italian footballers implicated in an illegal betting scandal.  
 
If Tonali is found guilty by the Italian Football Federation, he could be suspended for up to four years.  

Italian Football Federation is investigating Tonali and other players

The world of Italian soccer was thrown into chaos earlier this week following bombshell reports of illegal betting by Italian soccer players. Paparazzo Fabrizio Corona revealed to police and several Italian newspapers that many footballers in Italy are illegally partaking in soccer betting and gambling at illegal betting sites.  

The first player named by Corona was Juventus’ Nicolò Fagioli. Shortly after, Italian police confirmed an ongoing investigation into Fagioli. The next dominos to fall were Aston Villa’s Nicolo Zaniolo and Newcastle’s Sandro Tonali. Both players were removed from the Italy squad in order to be interrogated by authorities back in Italy.  
 
Since Corona’s first revelation and the first newspaper bombshells, Fagioli has been suspended from football for seven months and both Zaniolo and Tonali have admitted to betting illegally.  

Tonali a gambling addict, says agent

Tonali has not spoken to the media or released a statement regarding the ongoing Italian FA investigation. This has led to and updates coming from the press. In order to clear up some of the confusion, Tonali’s agent, Beppe Riso, spoke to the media in London about his client.  
 
Sandro is a bit shaken up by the situation,” said Riso, speaking in front of the Italian Embassy in London. The agent did not say the words directly, but hinted at it heavily by saying that Tonali is battling an “illness.” 
 
The biggest game has started against an illness. Sandro is used to big games and usually he wins them. Sandro’s experience will save the lives of other kids,” said Riso.  

Tonali available for Newcastle against Crystal Palace

Bippe Riso, Tonali’s agent, finished his statements in London by saying “I’d like to thank Newcastle. They have always been by Sandro’s side. He is training and could play on Saturday.” 
 
Newcastle play Crystal Palace at St. James' Park on Saturday. The club have  confirmed whether Tonali is actually available for selection.  
 
The Magpies have released an official statement regarding the investigation, stating that Tonali “and his family will continue to receive the club's full support,” before adding that “Sandro and Newcastle United are unable to offer further comment at this time.” 

If Tonali does play for Newcastle this weekend, there is a strong chance it could be the last time we see him in the black and white of Newcastle for a long time. If Tonali is found guilty, he is expected to be suspended for at least 12 months.